Update date: 13.12.2023
Пражский образовательный Центр

Long-term visa, residence permit and permanent residence in the Czech Republic

Long-term visa, residence permit and permanent residence in the Czech Republic - 1

Permanent residence and residence permit in the Czech Republic is one of the most popular reasons for international students to enroll in Czech universities. The ability to reside permanently in the Czech Republic without having to renew a visa offers many opportunities, among which the most important is employment in the Czech Republic.

Learn more about when and how international students can apply for permanent residence and residence permit in the Czech Republic in our article.

Let's start with a little terminology. Students, when they study information about moving to the Czech Republic, come across terms such as third world country. Do not be frightened, it is just a migration term.

A third country citizen is a citizen of a country that is not a member of the European Union and who is also not a citizen of any of the following countries: Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

It is worth noting that in this article we will only cover the types of visas that apply to students and leave out employment, business and other visas that are available for other types of stays. In order for a student to move to the Czech Republic to study you must have one of three residence permits:

  • Long-term visa

Long-term visa, residence permit and permanent residence in the Czech Republic - 2

Long-term visa

This type of visa allows a student to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days but less than one year. For a long-term visa, you will need an official authorization, namely study.

Czech universities and language centers at universities can issue you a visa on a "Student" basis. If they are other accredited institutions, however, you get visas for the purpose of "other" or "other". The application package for these visas is the same, but there are still differences.

Visa with the type of "other" allows the student during the stay in the Czech Republic to officially work, combining with studies. Also, this visa is considered a year for a year when obtaining a residence permit.

To obtain a long-term visa you will need:

  • A completed application form;
  • A passport (valid for at least 3 months, after the end of the visa);
  • 1 photo;
  • Housing contract (this can be a hostel contract, rental agreement or proof of residency);
  • Proof of study;
  • Confirmation of funds in the account;
  • Comprehensive health insurance;
  • Parental permission to travel (for students under 18 years of age);
  • Certificate of no criminal record (original with wet stamp).

You can switch from visa to residence permit directly in the Czech Republic if you decide to continue your studies or change universities. The main thing is to meet the deadlines given to you to stay in the country.

In the past, in order to stay in the Czech Republic, expelled foreign students bought language courses to extend their residence permit. As a rule, for such a service they applied to the same centers where they studied and prepared for admission to university.

The situation was aggravated around such schools, which stamped papers for extension. The majority of students who dropped out of universities due to insufficient knowledge of the Czech language. Apparently, migration authorities decided to break this vicious circle and stop legalization of stay in the Czech Republic.

A residence permit is a residence permit

Often students confuse the concepts of long-term visa and residence permit. Before applying, it is necessary to find out the differences and peculiarities of each.

Long-term residence is intended for foreign students who intend to live in the Czech Republic for more than 3 months. You cannot apply from your home country for a residence permit for the purpose of "other". This can only be done in the Czech Republic after you have arrived here on the basis of a long-term visa. If you are a university student, you can apply for both a long-term visa and a residence permit.

A residence permit is a plastic card with your biometric data and fingerprints. The card is an official document that can establish your identity. Also, the residence permit gives you free access to the labor market, and it is a mandatory document when obtaining a visa to seek employment after graduation.

The application package for a residence permit is no different from a long-term visa, but you will need to bring 2,500 CZK worth of stamps with you when you apply.

Stamps (kolky, kolkové známky) are used in the Czech Republic to pay fees at a wide range of state institutions. Foreigners most often encounter the need to purchase kolky when going to the Ministry of the Interior. Stamps are available in denominations of 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 or 1,000 CZK.

The stamps are absolutely necessary when renewing a visa, residence permit or permanent residence permit, making a biometric card, making any changes, issuing a new document to replace a stolen or lost one, as well as when issuing tourist invitations for relatives and friends.

Long-term visa, residence permit and permanent residence in the Czech Republic - 3

Permanent residence

Permanent residence can be granted to any foreigner who has continuously resided in the Czech Republic for 5 years. However, student visas count as one year per half, except for the residence permit. So what do you have to do in order to get a residence permit?

The most important thing in this matter is a good financial cushion, that is, a contract or own business with a monthly income. You can get a residence permit for 10 years with the possibility of extension. But you can be deprived of a residence permit if you live in another country for more than 6 years or outside the European Union for more than 1 year.

Documents required to apply for a residence permit are:

  • A valid passport;
  • A document proving that you have fulfilled the condition of five years of residence in the Czech Republic;
  • 2 photographs;
  • A document proving that you have housing in the Czech Republic;
  • A document proving that you have money;
  • Proof of passing the Czech language exam for permanent residence;
  • Certificate of no criminal record.

You have the right to change the type of stay in the country. For example, if you want to change from a residence permit to a business permit, but you can only do this if you have lived here for at least 5 years. However, if after graduation you received a nine-month visa to look for a job, after this visa you can switch to a business residence permit, even if you have not lived here for 5 years. There are a lot of pitfalls in this matter. We recommend you to contact experienced lawyers and consult on the issues you are interested in.

We told you about the main types of visas for living here. And now, when you have already received a residence permit or visa, you need to follow some rules.

Every visa has a purpose, so if you have a residence permit until August and you drop out or decide to change universities in July, you can be stripped of your "student" status. As you have no further proof that you are studying. Each time you need to submit new certificates from educational institutions.

It is important to keep track of the deadlines. Since you can apply for visa extension at least 14 days in advance, if you miss this deadline, you will not be able to do it in Prague or Brno. You will have to leave the country and deal with paperwork in your home country.

If you have any changes in your personal documents, you are obliged to inform the Ministry of Interior. For example, a change of residence must be reported within 30 days. Change of surname, marriage, new passport must be reported within 3 days. For failure to comply with this rule you can be fined from CZK 3,000.

As you can see, there are many nuances in the issue of moving to the Czech Republic, so study the information, read our blog and do not miss the news!

Take the first step toward your future
Make an appointment for a consultation
Send a message
Do you want to study in the Czech Republic? These articles will be very useful for you:
Still have questions? Check out our video channel!
Take the first step towards your future
Send a message
We have a huge library of information about universities, entrance exams and studying in Europe.
Урок был отослан.
А еще у нас есть
Добро пожаловать в
информационную систему
Prague Education Center!

Если вы - новый студент, то для получения пароля вам необходимо заполнить анкету нового студента на главном сайте Prague Education Center.

Студентам актуального учебного года за паролем следует обращаться к референту по работе со студентами.

+420 228 885 771
+7 499 380 75 40
+7 727 312 26 43
We use cookies to give you a better service. By continuing to browse this site you accept this.  
I accept this!